Carrying your hookah while traveling the world may be both exciting and soothing. However, planning and preparing for it can be challenging and tedious. Don't worry, we at Amy Deluxe have put together this comprehensive guide to assist you with your hookah travel plans and arrangements.
Hookah Travel Essentials: Things to Consider
When traveling with your hookah, you must consider numerous factors, like the destination, the distance you will be traveling, the means of transportation, and how many fellow smokers you will be entertaining and more. Everything influences what you should carry and how you should pack them. In this detailed DIY travel guide, we cover all the basic parts to make your hookah mobile-friendly.
Cooking Out with Your Hookah
Taking your hookah to a barbecue may add some extra excitement to the event, but you must consider the number of people who wish to join the hookah session. As the hookah host, ensure you have sufficient amounts of shisha and coals for the whole occasion. If the session is held outside, remember the crucial role of a wind cover for a smooth, and rewarding session.
Taking Your Hookah to Friends' Places
Bringing your hookah to a friend's place is an usual and effortless means to enjoy a friendly smoke session. As for what you should pack—the shisha flavor, bowl, and coals—everything you need is up to you and what is readily accessible at your destination.
Having Hookahs at House Parties
When you bring your gear to an energetic house party, keep these crucial things in mind. For example, disposable hookah hoses are a sanitary and feasible option for many smokers. Another option is to have a pack of mouth tips as a backup. Considering the size of the party, it's preferred to keep your prized large hookah back at home to prevent any unwanted mishaps.
Bringing Hookah on Road Trips
Carrying a hookah on a road trip is just as enjoyable as camping with it. Depending on the available space, determine the hookah supplies you will be carrying. A small, easy-to-carry hookah is more appropriate for road trips. Remember, smoking inside your vehicle is an absolute NO. Bring plenty of shisha and charcoal for your upcoming smoking sessions.
Taking Your Hookah Through Airport Security
As the hookah culture got recognized, flying with your hookah has become less complicated. If you have one, go for smaller hookahs and pack them in your checked luggage. Make a point to consider restrictions on the amount of shisha and charcoal they have.
Respect the Rules of Your Destination
Understanding and respecting the rules of your destination is important.
At a Friend's Place
When smoking at a friend's place, be careful of their smoking preference and house rules. Recognize their approved smoking place and look out for any possible risks. Nobody wants stray pieces of hookah charcoal destroying their home furnishings or upholstery.
It's better to designate a specific hookah space during house parties and restrict the number of people smoking hookah at the same time. This helps mitigate accidents, particularly if alcohol comes into play.
Always comply with safety guidelines while navigating airports with your hookah. Avoid packing excess shisha and charcoal in your luggage, as there are strict restrictions on what you may carry.
Preparing Your Hookah Kit
Depending on your destination and travel method, double-check that you have everything in place.
- Your hookah (choose one under 28 inches for hassle-free travel)
- Enough shisha to accommodate your trip
- Adequate charcoal (if feasible, natural coals; quick lights for ease)
- Hookah Bowls (two for a few people; otherwise, opt for unbreakable silicone ones for larger gatherings outside your house)
- Hookah hoses (preferably disposable ones)
- Foil or Heat Management Device
- A wind cover (for outdoor sessions and boosting coal life)
- Foil poker
- Mouth tips (for sharing with a large group)
- Tongs for handling coal
- Additional grommets (for both the bowl and the hose)
Tips for Packing Your Hookah for Travel
- Have a solid bag or case for all of your hookah gear. There are many choices on the market that are great for all hookah sizes. It should organize loose pieces properly and provide cushioned storage for your hookah as well.
- Whether you're going on a short trip or a long one, protect your hookah base and bowls properly. Carry extra bowls, hoses, and shisha storage containers, particularly for the road.
- Assess your travel requirements while selecting your charcoal. Quick-lighting charcoal is ideal for hookah quick on-the-go sessions, but think about how, where, and how you can ignite them.
- Water is essential for both your hookah base and staying hydrated while traveling. Bring enough supplies with you.
- While flying, make sure all your hookah supplies are properly cushioned and packed. Luggage mismanagement at airports is very common. When checking your hookah bag, use socks to secure the hookah base, a t-shirt to encase the hookah stem, and a Ziploc bag for storing the shisha.
- For emergencies, try to improvise by using paper towels as grommet substitutes, preparing ahead of time, and checking nearby lounges or smoke shops for hookah supplies. There's no need to bring everything if you can get it at your location.
Relax and enjoy your hookah with friends. Just be careful not to trip over the hookah!